Sunday, July 31, 2011

My Neal Adams inspired Batman


So I read Batman #251, "The Joker's 5-Way Revenge," on my Android phone through Comixology and I have to say it was pretty good. The story came out a month before I was born, so there was no chance I could have picked it up at the 7-eleven. Even if it came out a month later, I wouldn't have been able to read it.

But, as I posted in another post, I've always had trouble drawing Batman. Reading this comic now, and don't get mad at me, it's the first Neal Adams Batman work I've ever read. In fact, I think it's the first Neal Adams anything I've read. How's that possible? I have no idea. I'm a huge fan of Frank Miller's Daredevil, so I must have gotten my fix there. Miller's Daredevil is amazing, and it's also like watching a Neal Adams/Gil Kane jam inked by Dick Giordano. Not a bad thing at all, but once you see those influences, they're hard to not see. Still, not a bad thing.

So I'm reading this comic and amazed at how awesome this Batman is and wishing this was the Batman of today and it hit me. I think I know how to draw this guy now. So the next day (I read it in bed) I whipped out a scrap piece of paper and my trusty Sharpie pen and this is the result. 

I've been playing fast and loose with my style lately and really liking it. And I'm really happy with the way this turned out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DON'T FORGET!
31 days of action, fun, and adventure!